UF COM students seeking their M.D., are encouraged to pursue research and present their scholarly work at conferences. They are also encouraged to represent the school in leadership capacities.
The following criteria must be met before requesting funding:
- The student must be applying at least three weeks prior to Conference/Meeting/Publication date.
- Conference/Meeting must take place in the United States.
- Research being presented must have been conducted while in medical school.
- The student must be the first-author on paper/poster/abstract.
- If the student is a national officer of an organization, there must be no other fund sources for travel.
- The student must be in good academic standing. Students on a leave of absence are not eligible for funding.
- Conference/publication must take place before student’s graduation.
- Mentor letter of support must include indication of student will be presenting and department funding availability.
- In the event that mentor’s department do not have resources to cover expenses, students may request assistance from the Office of Educational Affairs.
Expectation of Students
- Students are expected to contribute to their travel costs.
- Students are expected to discuss funding with their research mentor.
- Students are expected to submit a concise post trip reflection on the conference and their presentation.
- Students are expected to submit all receipts and all requested documents within 2 weeks of return date or funds may be denied.
- Students must notify the Office of Educational Affairs before the planned travel date, if they decide not to travel or if the travel is cancelled.
Funding Availability and Notification
- Students can expect a response from the COM within 2 weeks of their submitted request.
- While costs do vary, in general, funding is available for one trip per student not to exceed $500/academic year (Aug 1 – July 31).
- All travel must be completed 1 week prior to graduation (including submission of all supporting documentation).
What is REIMBURSED
- Airline OR mileage (Roundtrip to conference)
- Conference registration
- Hotel expense (maximum of 2 nights)
What is Not Covered
- Airbnb or other room/house rental stays for students
- Internet services at hotel
- Transportation at conference
Information to be submitted:
- Title, authors (student must be first author)
- Electronic copy of abstract and/or poster
- Name of meeting, location, and dates
- Faculty mentor endorsement
- Estimates of expenses
- Receipts after meeting