September 13th, 2016
7:30 to 9:00 am
HMEB Room 128, Videoconference to Jacksonville Deal Boardroom
Member Attendees: Maureen Novak, Melanie Hagen, Heather Harrell, Robert Hatch, Kyle Rarey, Daniel Rubin, Peter Sayeski, Laurence Solberg, Marc Zumberg, Carol Diachun, Jennifer Hipp, Lou Ann Cooper, Gabe Daniels, Frank Genuardi, Gretchen Kuntz, Wayne Dell, Hannah Norton, Beverly Vidaurreta, Zareen Zaidi
Guests: DeVos, Lauren Solberg, Rosenberg
Recording: Kathy Green & Robyn Screws
The meeting was called to order by Dr. Novak at 7:32 am.
- Novak began introducing the Wayne Dell, who will serve as the Academic Chair for the Medical Student Class of 2020.
- Sayeski mentioned the main concern from Course Directors are the IT issues that have been encountered.
- Hatch provided and update from the Clerkship Directors. Dr. Gulig discussed with Clerkship Directors to ensure coverage of smaller topics within the transition to the current curriculum, including EKG’s.
Leave of Absence Policy
- Novak presented the updated document for the Leave of Absence Policy, motion was made to approve the policy, motion seconded and approved unanimously.
- Patient Safety & Quality
- Rosenberg presented on his thread for Patient Safety and Quality. It is a pre-clinical thread and covers about eleven hours. The thread begins pre-preceptorship at the end of ICM I, before ICM II. He discussed what students see throughout their courses that follow along with the thread. Also discussed were the challenges encountered with the thread, including attendance issues, multiple choice test questions, and the activities within the thread may lack cohesiveness.
- Rosenberg discussed the Discovery Track Elective for Patient Safety and Quality. The elective track goes deeper into the topic and includes a Final research Project.
- Ethics & Professionalism
- Solberg presented the Ethics Thread, which she noted has no track and is a program in Family Medicine. Dr. Solberg discussed where students will see the parts of this thread throughout their medical school experience. The thread covers ethics, law, and professionalism.
- Health Equity
- Novak presented on Health Equity Thread and Local Global Health Equity Track for Dr. Grigg. Currently there is only one lecture for Health Equity. Some concerns addressed for the thread are finding the foundational curriculum needed for all students, uncertainty of where this thread is being taught in the curriculum. There is the possibility of adding the thread into Hematology and addressing communication skills with other cultures.
Abnormal Physical Findings
- Motion made to approve the four core recommendations as in attachment, motion seconded and approved unanimously.
Meeting adjourned at 8:45 am.
Next Meeting: October 11, 2016, 7:30-9:00 am, HMEB Room 128 (Deans Conference Room), videoconference to Jacksonville Deal Boardroom.