October 11th, 2016
7:30 to 9:00 am
HMEB Room 128, Videoconference to Jacksonville Deal Boardroom
Member Attendees: Joseph Fantone, Maureen Novak, Melanie Hagen, Heather Harrell, Kyle Rarey, Daniel Rubin, Marc Zumberg, Carol Diachun, Lou Ann Cooper, Gabe Daniels, Tim Garren, James Lynch, Wayne Dell, Beverly Vidaurreta, Zareen Zaidi
Guests: Shelley Collins
Recording: Robyn Screws
The meeting was called to order by Dr. Novak at 7:32 am.
- Novak provided an update on how Hurricane Matthew effected the education program. First year students were able to watch last year’s lectures from remote sites. Second year students had to have activities rescheduled and an alternative delivery of the exam, allowing them to be able to take the test from remote sites as well.
Health Equity Survey
- Novak presented the results of the survey sent out to Course and Clerkship directors to determine if there is a gap in the curriculum regarding health equity. Of those who responded to the survey, about 56% said they do have material related to health equity and 43% responded that they do not have material related to health equity in their course. Those who responded that they do include material related to health equity, were asked to indicate how and where the material was being presented to the students.
Collaborative Learning Groups
- Collins presented information gathered by task force assigned to look at the working of the Collaborative Learning Groups. The groups meet weekly for 3 hours and consist of 7-8 students per group with the faculty meeting the hour prior to the CLG meetings. Dr. Collins presented the SWOT report assembled by the task force, which included their thoughts of the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats for the activity. Concerns and recommendations were assembled by the task force and presented to the committee. Discussion was started with the Committee to determine the best way to utilize these small groups. Dr. Novak asked the Committee to look over the information provided by Dr. Collins and the Committee would come back to this topic in three months (January).
Program Evaluation Committee Update
- Cooper provided an update from the Program Evaluation Committee, which is assigned to looking at all of the courses and clerkships by way of looking at student debriefings, evaluations, exams, assessments and other data. Course and Clerkship Directors as well as administrators and coordinators, are invited to attend the meetings to hear the reports on their course/clerkship. Four members review the data, a committee co-chairs, an educator, a clinical faculty member and a fourth year student. Dr. Cooper discussed each of the already reviewed clerkships, including Family Medicine, Neurology, and Psychiatry. Dr. Novak asked the committee to look at the reports for the clerkships in order to put them up for a vote at the next meeting.
- Included in the email for today’s meetings were the MSPE recommendations from the AAMC, which Dr. Duff has decided to move forward with.
- The new Dean for Jacksonville will begin in Jacksonville.
- Motion made to approve September’s minutes, motion was seconded and approved unanimously.
Meeting adjourned at 8:56 am.
Next Meeting: November 8, 2016, 7:30-9:00 am, HMEB Room 128 (Deans Conference Room), videoconference to Jacksonville Deal Boardroom.