The Course Directors (Phase 1) and Clerkship Directors Committees (Phase 2 and 3) report to the Associate Dean for Medical Education and are responsible for the daily operation of the medical curriculum. Any committee recommendations for significant changes in the educational program are submitted for review and approval by the Curriculum Committee. Chairs of the Course Directors and Clerkship Directors Committees are appointed for three-year terms by the Associate Dean for Medical Education from the membership, with the approval of the Curriculum Committee. Regular monthly or bimonthly meetings are scheduled, and minutes are recorded.
The Course Directors (Phase 1) Committee is responsible to the Associate Dean for Medical Education and the Curriculum Committee. The committee’s roles and responsibilities include;
- Ensuring horizontal and vertical integration/coordination across the curriculum.
- Implementing the goals, objectives, and teaching responsibilities of the curriculum for each course.
- Maintaining an organized schedule of teaching activities.
- Coordinating student assessments and evaluations in Phase 1 of the curriculum.
- In collaboration with the Director of Program Evaluation, reviewing syllabi, learning objectives, and assessment criteria to ensure effective integration of course materials, teaching and assessment methods across Phase 1 and ensuring adherence to College and University policies.
- Providing input to the Curriculum Committee related to potential gaps and/or unplanned redundancies informed by course reviews, AAMC GQ, student outcome data, and other relevant data.
- Sharing teaching methods and education delivery modalities to promote learning.
- Reviewing overall student/class performance in preparation for Phase 2 of the curriculum.
Membership of the committee consists of:
- Individual course directors of required educational experiences
- Basic science discipline representatives
- “Thread” leaders
Ex officio (non-voting) members include:
- Senior Associate Dean for Educational Affairs
- Associate Dean for Medical Education
- Associate Dean for Student Affairs
- Medical Director of the Anaclerio Learning and Assessment Center
- Director of Program Evaluation and Student Assessment
- Representative of the Office for Diversity and Health Equity
- Director of the Office of Student Counseling and Development
- HSC Library representative