CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING
September 11th, 2018
7:30 to 9:00 AM, HMEB Room 128
Videoconference to Deal Boardroom
Attendance: Maureen Novak, Joseph Fantone, John Aris, Gabe Daniels, Nicholas Maldonado, Robert Hatch, Stacy Beal, Paul Gulig, Peter Sayeski, Marc Zumberg, Carol Diachun, Rana Alissa, Shelley Collins, Frank Genuardi, Jim Gorske, Gretchen Kuntz, James Lynch, Hannah Norton, Daniel O’Neill, Nina Multak, Matthew Ryan, Beverly Vidaurreta, James Davis, Mary Paterson, Tom LeMaster
Recording: Robyn Screws
Dr. Novak called to order 7:30 am
- Motion made to approve August minutes, motion seconded, approved unanimously.
- Novak updated the committee on how the launch of the new Compass is complicating students, their financial aid, and their software access.
- Aris gave an update on Phase 1; so far, it is going well aside from Canvas related issues.
- Novak and Dr. Collins noted that there is a hurricane preparedness document that has been distributed to students and course/clerkship directors.
- Hatch gave an update on the Phase 2 students and noted that clerkship directors are working on pinning down details and having directors commit to the inclusion of EPA’s.
- Policy Update: Leave of Absence Revision
- Novak presented the updated Leave of Absence Policy. After discussion, motion was made to approve the update with the inclusion of a requirement for personal leave to have an updated academic plan upon return. Motion seconded and approved unanimously.
- UF Honors Program
- Sayeski presented an overview of the UF Honors Program for the College of Medicine, which is a BS/MD degree program that is seven years.
- Telemedicine Elective
- Novak provided clarification of the proposed Telemedicine Elective and discussion was held. Motion made to approve the new elective, motion seconded and approved unanimously.
- Clerkship Evaluations (Novak)
- Novak discussed the Clerkship Evaluations and noted a focus on environmental issues and cultural/process changes to be made in order to make sure experiences remain the same across locations. Ensuring grades are submitted in the appropriate time limit and that observed history and physicals and feedback are emphasized.
- Curriculum Retreat – February 12, 2019
- Novak asked the committee to think of any suggestions, topics, or presenters, for the retreat day and send them to her.
End 8:53 am
Next Meeting: October 9th, 2018, 7:30-9:00 am
HMEB Rm 128, Dean’s Conference Room with videoconference to Jacksonville Borland Library.