CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING
November 12, 2019
7:30 to 9:00 AM, HMEB Room 128
Videoconference to Deal Boardroom
Attendance: Maureen Novak, MD (Chair); John Aris, Ph.D.; Lou Ann Cooper, Ph.D.; Paul Gulig, Ph.D.; Carol Diachun, MD,VC-Jax; Gretchen Kuntz MSW, MLIS VC-Jax; Jim Gorske, M.Ed.; Stacy Beal, MD; Marc Zumberg, MD; Maria Kelly, MD; Lynne E Meyer, Ph.D.; Michel Michelot, MS1; Jim Gorske; Nicholas Maldonado, MD; Robert Hatch, MD M.P.H; Frank Genuardi, MD M.P. H.; James Davis, MS2; Mary Patterson, MD, M. Ed.; Nina Multak, Ph.D., PA-C; Daniel Rubin, MD;
Recording: Aisha Miller
Dr. Novak called meeting to order at 7:38 am.
- Motion made to approve the October Meeting minutes, motion seconded, and approved.
- Phase 1 – Dr. Aris informed the committee that 2nd year students have started the Pain & Addition course. 1st year students have completed nutrition and are still in foundations and are adjusting well.
- The Struggling Student Committee: Dr. Aris mentioned that the Struggling Student Committee will be meeting in the next few weeks, he should have an update by December.
- Phase 2 – Dr. Hatch has nothing to report at this time.
- Track Proposal Revision 1: Novak provided supporting information that covered the rationale for the proposed track revision. Dr. Novak motioned to approve the proposal revision of The Medical Ethics and Law Track requirements motion made, seconded, and approved.
- Geriatrics Integration to FM Clerkship: Dr. Rubin gave an overview of the proposed changes to the learning objective format for the current Geriatrics clerkships. Dr. Rubin made a motion to move forward with the structure proposed to integrate Geriatrics into the Family Medicine Clerkship motion seconded and approved.
- Gulig initiated a discussion regarding flipped classroom. Discussion to continue.
- Journal Club: Dr. Novak encouraged faculty members to read the two articles for educational development.
- Looking Ahead: Futures Planning for Medical Education
- Social Interactions of Clerks: The Role of Engagement, Imagination, and Alignment as Sources for Professional Identity Formation
Next Meeting: December 10, 2019 7:30-9:00 a.m.
HMEB Rm 128, Dean’s Conference Room with videoconference to Jacksonville Deal Boardroom