CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING
March 13th, 2018
7:30 to 9:00 AM, HMEB Room 128
Videoconference to Deal Boardroom
Attendance: Joseph Fantone, Maureen Novak, John Aris, Victoria Bird, Melanie Hagen, Robert Hatch, Daniel Rubin, Peter Sayeski, Marc Zumberg, Jennifer Hipp, Shelley Collins, Lou Ann Cooper, Jim Gorske, Heather Harrell, Nina Multak, Matthew Ryan, Hannah Norton
Recording: Robyn Screws
Dr. Novak called to order 7:35 am
- Novak and Dr. Cooper presented the official class of 2019 NBME Step 1 score data. Jim Gorske approaches students proactively, providing tutors/buddies and targeting students who are in need.
- Motion made to approve February minutes, seconded, approved unanimously.
- Aris noted that the Phase 1 curriculum is going well. One concern brought forward is the situation of when a student has a conference presentation on the same day of the exam and is requesting accommodation for the absence. Dr. Novak suggested that this be a topic to discuss at the Course Directors Committee Meeting.
- APH Electives Proposal (Novak)
- Novak present the proposed new course electives in partnership with Arnold Palmer Hospital and UF faculty there. These will be for fourth year students wanting to do Clerkships in Orlando. Motion made to approve the proposed electives, seconded, approved unanimously.
- A Call for Mixed Methods in Competency (Reading)
- Novak opened a discussion regarding the presented article.
- EPA Discussion
- Hatch provided an update from the Clerkship Directors Retreat. The main topic for the retreat focused on using LCME provided EPAs. Main discussions included how students should come to third year clerkships and how to remediate identified deficiencies and gaps. Different clerkships have EPAs that they deem to be of higher importance for students to get for their methods. The suggestion has been made to tie EPA assessment into the existing CSE4.
- Novak opened the floor to discussion regarding EPAs and entrustability.
- Fantone updated the Committee to the Match Day status of UF medical students.
End 8:57 am
Next Meeting: April 10th, 2018, 7:30-9:00 am
HMEB Rm 128, Dean’s Conference Room with videoconference to Jacksonville Borland Library.