CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING
July 9, 2019
7:30 to 9:00 AM, HMEB Room 128
Videoconference to Deal Boardroom
Attendance: Maureen Novak, MD (Chair); John Aris, Ph.D.; Robert Hatch, MD; Peter Sayeski Ph.D.; Shelley Collins, MD; Joseph Fantone, MD; Lou Ann Cooper, Ph.D.; Nina Multak, Ph.D., MPAS, PA-C; Carol Diachun, MD,VC-Jax; Gretchen Kuntz MSW, MLIS VC-Jax; Jim Gorske, M.Ed.; Ms. Hannah Norton, B.A. ,MS; Lynne E Meyer, Ph.D., MPH; Rana Alissa, MD, VC-Jax; Genuardi Frank, MD, MPH VC-Jax; Michelle, Jacob Elliott, MD; James Lynch, MD; Mary Patterson, MD; Nicholas Maldonado, MD; Maria N. Kelly, MD
Recording: Aisha Miller
Dr. Novak called meeting to order at 7:32 am.
Motion made to approve June minutes seconded, and unanimously approved.
- Phase 1 – Dr. Aris had nothing to report on Phase 1.
The Struggling Student Committee
Phase 2 – Dr. Hatch had nothing to report on Phase 2.
- Introduction of new member: Dr. Novak welcomed new members Dr. Maria N. Kelly and Dr. Lynn Meyers to the Curriculum Committee.
- Transition of Neuro and Geriatrics: The proposal to transition Neurology and Geriatrics was approved in May and there will be no changes this year. Next year all 3rd and 4th year students will take geriatrics doubled up with no neurology. The following year students will take geriatrics with hopefully the ideal rotation within or integrated in. The curriculum committee will re-visit if further changes or discussions are needed.
- CBSE/Step 1: The proposal discussion was based on the CBSE & Phase 1 average. Students who are one standard deviation below the class Mean will need to sit for the exam and will be required to meet with a learning specialist and a context expert they will be required to retake the exam. All students will be given this information and will be allowed to follow the same process. If students have not reached far on the testing contents then the student will not be allowed to sit for the exam and it will delay their first clerkship. At that point the intervention will be that the student will enroll in a Step 1 type course that will be put into their financial aid.
- UF COM Jacksonville proposal for 2 year regional campus: Dr. Genuardi presented the 2 year regional campus proposal for expansion of UF Jacksonville campus. The emphasis has been made because UFCOM-Jax is the only campus out of 54 regional clinical campuses that does not provide a full educational experience to their full-time 3rd and 4th year students.
- Journal Club: Dr. Novak encouraged members to read the three articles below for faculty development.
- Moving Toward Summative Competency Assessments
- Understanding Professional Identity Formation
- Which Students Characteristics are Most Important
Meeting adjourned at: 8:42am.
Next Meeting: August 13, 2019 7:30-9:00 am
HMEB Rm 128, Dean’s Conference Room with videoconference to Jacksonville Deal Boardroom