CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING
July 14, 2020
7:30 to 9:00 a.m., HMEB Room 128
Videoconference to Deal Boardroom
Attendance: Heather Harrell, M.D. (Chair); Rana Alissa, M.D.; John Aris, Ph.D.; Stacy Beal, M.D.; Julia Close, M.D.; Shelley Collins, M.D. FAAP; Lou Ann Cooper Ph.D.; Beverly Dede, Ph.D.; Joseph Fantone, M.D.; Frank Genuardi, M.D., MPH; Jim Gorske, M.Ed.; Kathy Green, MLIS, SADM-C; Paul Gulig, Ph.D.; Robert Hatch, M.D. MPH; Saleem Islam, M.D. MPH; Colleen Kalynych, Ed.D.; Maria Kelly, M.D.; M.P.H.; Gretchen Kuntz, MSW, MLIS; James Lynch, M.D.; Lynne E Meyer, Ph.D., Michelot Michel, MS2; Nina Multak, Ph.D., MPAS, PA-C, DFAAPA; Steven Munger, Ph.D.; Hannah Norton BA, MS; Maureen Novak, M.D.; Daniel O’Neill, MS4; Donna Parker, M.D.; Elisa Sottile, M.D.; Carolyn Stalvey, M.D. Meredith Thompson, M.D.; Marc Zumberg, M.D.
Recording: Aisha Miller
Dr. Harrell called the meeting to order at 7:30 a.m.
Motion made to approve June minutes, seconded, and approved.
- INPLASE Task Force Recommendations: As the USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills exam was disrupted this year due to COVID-19, Dr. Stalvey presented recommendations from the INPLASE task force. Dr. Stalvey compared the objectives of the USMLE Step 2 CS examination and the UF Clinical Skills Exam (CSE) for third year students during the 2019-2020 academic year. The INPLASE task force noted two areas of concerns for the Class of 2021: Physical Exam Technique (as was completed similar to Telehealth via Zoom) and Note Writing. The recommendation from the task force would be to provide another clinical skills exam that focuses on physical skills, but not include note writing, as medical students are evaluated on this skill in the clinical environment. Motion made to approve the INPLASE Task Force recommendations to accept the CSE3 C/D as replacement for the Step 2 CS graduation requirement, with the addition of a Clinical Skills Exam to specifically evaluate students’ physical exam technique, which was seconded, and approved.
- Proposed Change to College of Medicine Student Code of Ethics: Dr. Harrell presented the proposed changes to the Student Code of Ethics. Based on the discussion during the meeting, a motion was made and seconded for the committee to vote electronically after recommended changes to the language were made. After receiving revisions, the committee approved proposed changes to the College of Medicine Student Code of Ethics via an electronic vote.
- JEDI Task Force: Harrell gave a brief description of the student lead JEDI Task Force regarding the students experiences in the medical education curriculum. Due to time, the discussion was tabled until the August Curriculum Committee meeting.
- New Curriculum Committee Members: Harrell and the committee welcomed new members Drs. Steven D. Munger, Ph.D. from the Department of Pharmacology and Meredith Thompson, M.D. from the Department of Emergency Medicine.
- Informational Updates:
- Course Directors’ Committee: Aris provided an overview from the Course Directors’ Committee meeting. The main discussion from the meeting was regarding the delivery of the Phase 1 courses for the fall, and the standardization of writing exam questions.
- Clerkship Directors’ Committee: Kelly discussed the challenge to create social distancing for students in the clinical environment.
Meeting ended at 8:51 a.m.
Next Meeting: August 11, 2020 7:30-9:00 a.m.
HMEB Rm 128, Dean’s Conference Room with Zoom videoconference