August 9th, 2016
7:30 to 9:00 am
HMEB Room 128, Videoconference to Jacksonville Deal Boardroom
Member Attendees: Maureen Novak, Melanie Hagen, Heather Harrell, Daniel Rubin, Marc Zumberg, Carol Diachun, Jennifer Hipp, Lou Ann Cooper, Frank Genuardi, Michelle Jacobs-Elliott, Gretchen Kuntz, James Lynch, Ralph Rice, Beverly Vidaurreta, Zareen Zaidi
Recording: Robyn Screws
The meeting was called to order by Dr. Novak at 7:35 am.
- Novak began the meeting by having everyone introduce themselves for the new members of the committee. Dr. Novak announced that a Learning Specialist has been hired and has started in their new position.
- The Clerkship Director’s did not have a meeting, so there was no update to share.
- Cooke provided an update on the first week of courses, said the class seems to be enthusiastic and doing well, attendance is also good so far.
- Novak updated the Committee on the plan for the upcoming year. The focus of the Committee will be to look at current and new threads, address gaps in the curriculum and looking at outcome data, as well as plan a retreat lead by the Curriculum Committee members to look at how the curriculum is doing and where the college is headed with the curriculum.
Class of 2018 Step 1 Report
- Novak presented the data on Step 1 that will be shared with the Senior Associate Deans and if approved with the Executive Committee later this week. Dr. Novak presented that 95% of students passed and provided updates on the students who have not passed.
- Novak announced that the final draft of the update (emailed as an attachment) planned to go out to the LCME today.
Mindful Medicine Track
- Cooke presented a proposal for a Mindful Medicine Track modeled on a program that is already in place at Georgetown University. The goal of this track is to allow medical students a longitudinal experience to learn mind-body training that they can adapt to their clinical studies and help with their resilience. The proposal includes beginning the program with 10 students, starting in the second semester of the first year, is voluntary but for credit during the academic day, and will be taught by trained faculty. The Committee discussed the proposal. Dr. Harrell moved to approve the proposed Mindful Medicine Track, motion seconded, approved unanimously.
Observed History and Physicals
- Harrell presented an update for the tasks in which they charged to identify, as well as recommendations from the Observed Clinical Skills Task Force. The task force looked at Observable CEPARs, locating where they were taught, observed, and assessed, and provided recommendations for additional places in which CEPARs should be observed and assessed.
- Novak suggested that this should be discussed at the Clerkship Director’s Meeting as well and develop a timeline. Dr. Harrell suggested the next step to be having the Committee look over the presentation and over the course of the next few meetings, vote on the proposals separately.
Meeting adjourned at 8:56 am.
Next Meeting: September 13, 2016, 7:30-9:00 am, HMEB Room 128 (Deans Conference Room), videoconference to Jacksonville Deal Boardroom.