The fourth year includes four required clerkships and one required course:
- Sub-Internship (select one): Cardiovascular Surgery, Family Medicine, Medicine, Neurosurgery, Orthopaedic Surgery, Otolaryngology, Pediatrics, OMFS Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Surgery (4 weeks – 4 credit hours)
- Emergency Medicine (4 weeks – 4 credit hours)
- Neurology (4 weeks – 4 credit hours)
- Anesthesiology and Critical Care (4 weeks – 4 credit hours)
- Capstone Course – Internship 101 (3 weeks – 4 credit hours)
Students have a four-week period to interview for their residency and a four-week period to prepare for USMLE Step 2 – CK (2 – 4 credit hours). They also must take 16 additional credit hours of electives.
All elective choices must be made in conjunction with the student’s faculty advisor, the fourth year curriculum coordinator, and the Associate Dean for Student Affairs. Clinical electives are available in all the major disciplines of medicine. In the clinical electives, students work as advanced clerks and assume greater responsibility than they had in the third year. Elective courses in the basic sciences also are available. Additionally, independent study programs and international medicine electives may be designed to allow experience in areas of medicine not offered in the formal courses.
Students who wish to take external electives at other institutions must obtain the approval of their advisor and the Fourth-Year Coordinator or the Associate Dean for Student Affairs. As a general rule, students will be allowed to take a maximum of three external electives.
Students must complete a minimum of 36 credit hours in the fourth year to be eligible for graduation.
Advanced Medical Practice: Phase 3
(Clerkships and Course)
Anesthesiology-Operative and Perioperative/Critical Care: 4 weeks
• Emergency Medicine: 4 weeks
• Neurology: 4 weeks
• Sub-Internship: 4 weeks (select one)
– Community Health and Family Medicine
– Orthopaedic Surgery
– Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
• Internship 101: 4 weeks
– Residency preparation
• Elective credits: 16 weeks
– USMLE Step 2 CK