TO: All College of Medicine Faculty
FROM: Erik Black, Chair of the Society of Teaching Scholars
RE: Nomination and Selection of New Scholars for 2020-2021
Nominations are welcome for the selection of new members to the Society of Teaching Scholars.
- Nominees must be a member of the University of Florida College of Medicine faculty involved in the training of students (undergraduate, medical, graduate, or physician assistant), residents, and/or fellows. Training may include classroom-based instruction, clinical instruction (e.g., work rounds), laboratory-based instruction, educational administration, faculty development, and mentorship. The Society will ask nominees to submit an Educator Portfolio.
- Nominees should familiarize themselves with the following definition and examples of educational scholarship; it is essential to understand that educational scholarship is significantly weighted in the evaluation of candidates:
- Peers and/or other individuals (Department Chairs, Program Directors, faculty colleagues, residents, students, etc.) can submit Nominations to Renata Dolbier in the Office of Educational Affairs (see contact information below) by Friday, November 12, 2021. Self-nominations are also encouraged.
- Nominees will be asked to submit a Letter of Intent (LOI), briefly describing their educational role and a current CV, by Friday, November 19, 2021. LOIs and CVs will be reviewed by a nominating committee comprised of STS members.
- The nominating committee will pre-screen submissions and provide feedback about candidacy. Those who receive committee approval will then be officially nominated and may proceed with submission of an Educator Portfolio packet for review. One nominating committee member will be assigned to each candidate; members are charged with assisting the applicant with the packet (edits, feedback, etc.). The Educator Portfolio must be in PDF form, and submitted to Renata Dolbier and cc: Erik Black, PhD by Monday, December 20, 2021. Please verify receipt of your portfolio with Renata Dolbier.
- Members of the Society will review submitted Educator Portfolios and make final selections by Friday, February 18, 2022. New scholars must have a record of excellence in education scholarship and teaching.
Announcement of new scholars will be made no later than Monday, February 21, 2022. New scholars will be recognized at the Celebration of Excellence in Medical Education Reception in March 2022 and at the Class of 2022 Graduation Ceremony.
We look forward to this year’s nominations.
Dr. Erik Black
Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Education
Chair University of Florida Society of Teaching Scholars
2021-22 New Member Nomination Timeline:
- Nominations Due by Friday, November 12, 2021
- Letters of Intent and updated CV Due by Friday, November 19, 2021
- Educator Portfolio Due by Monday, December 20, 2021
- Final Selection of New Members made by Monday, February 14, 2022
- New Scholars Announcement made by Friday, February 18, 2022
- New Scholars Recognition at Medical Education Reception, March 15, 2022
- New Scholars Recognition at Graduation Ceremony