TO: All College of Medicine Faculty
FROM: Erik Black, Chair of the Society of Teaching Scholars
RE: Nomination and Selection of New Scholars for 2019-2020
Nominations are welcome for the selection of new members to the Society of Teaching Scholars.
- Nominees must be a member of the faculty of the University of Florida College of Medicine, put forth 500 hours of educational effort per year (~10 hours per week) and be involved in the training of students (medical, graduate or physician assistant), residents and/or fellows. Training may include: classroom-based instruction, clinical instruction (eg: work rounds), laboratory-based instruction, educational administration, faculty development and mentor ship. The Society will ask nominees to submit an Educator Portfolio.
- Nominees should familiarize themselves with the following definition and examples of educational scholarship; it is essential to understand that educational scholarship is significantly weighted in the evaluation of candidates:
- Peers and/or other individuals (Department Chairs, Program Directors, faculty colleagues, residents, students, etc.) can submit Nominations to Renata Dolbier in the Office of Educational Affairs (see contact information below) by Friday, November 6, 2020. Self-nominations are also encouraged.
- Nominees will be asked to submit a Letter of Intent (LOI) and their updated CV by Friday, November 13, 2020 stating the number of hours spent on educational endeavors; for review by a nominating committee comprised of STS members.
- The nominating committee will pre-screen submissions and provide feedback about candidacy. Those who receive committee approval will then be officially nominated and may proceed with submission of an Educator Portfolio packet for review. One member of the nominating committee will be assigned to each nominee; members are charged with assisting the applicant with the packet (edits, feedback, etc.). The Educator Portfolio must be in PDF form, and submitted to Renata Dolbier and cc: Erik Black, PhD. Please verify receipt of your portfolio with Renata Dolbier.
- Members of the Society will review submitted Educator Portfolios and make final selections by Monday, February 8, 2021. New scholars must have a record of excellence in education scholarship and teaching.
We look forward to this year’s nominations.
Dr. Erik Black
Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Education
Chair University of Florida Society of Teaching Scholars
2020-21 New Member Nomination Timeline:
- Nominations Due by Friday, November 6, 2020
- Letters of Intent and updated CV Due by Friday, November 13, 2020
- Educator Portfolio Due by Friday, December 18, 2020
- Final Selection of New Members made by Monday, February 08, 2021
- New Scholars Announcement made by Friday, February 12, 2021
- New Scholars Recognition at Medical Education Reception, March 17, 2021
- New Scholars Recognition at Graduation Ceremony