The Mission Statement of the Society of Teaching Scholars (STS) at the University of Florida, College of Medicine is: To honor and foster teaching and educational scholarship.
Teaching scholars are asked to mentor junior faculty on teaching improvement and serve in an advisory capacity to the Faculty Development Committee and COMEC (College of Medicine Education Center). The Society also sponsors the annual “Celebration of Excellence in Medical Education Reception” along with other educational opportunities that features lectures and workshops on relevant educational topics for College of Medicine faculty. Current members of the Society are responsible for selecting new members based on nominations and a teaching portfolio.
Objectives of the Society
- To provide a forum to recognize and reward College of Medicine faculty who have demonstrated excellence in teaching and commitment to the formation of physicians and scientists.
- To provide an incentive for the faculty member’s professional development as an educational scholar and role model.
- To identify a cadre of recognized experts to advise the College of Medicine on ways to enhance its educational mission, as well as to serve as mentors/role models to junior faculty, residents, and students.
- To demonstrate the College of Medicine’s commitment to high quality teaching and learning, plus continuous quality improvement process of the educational program.
The Mission Statement of the Society of Teaching Scholars (STS) at the University of Florida, College of Medicine is: To honor and foster teaching and educational scholarship. We are seeking nominations to select new members of the Society of Teaching Scholars for 2024. We eagerly anticipate accepting new members deserving of this special recognition and honor.
Each year, the Society sponsors other educational opportunities that features lectures and workshops on relevant educational topics for College of Medicine faculty.
Society of Teaching Scholars RE: Nomination and Selection of New Scholars
Sub-committees of the Society that help with various activities. Funding Request can be found here too.
Each year the STS invites new members to join the Society and help support this mission.
Lifetime Achievement Award Hippocratic Award
Kenneth Kellner Award
Sustained Excellence in Medical Education Award
Get to know the Society Teaching Scholars members.
2023 New Members
Jason Blatt MD, FAANS, FAAP
Carma Bylund Ph.D.
Petra E Duran-Gehring MD
Brenda G Fahy MD, MCCM
Elisa M Sottile M.D.
Ashleigh Wright M.D., F.A.C.P.
2023 Honorary Members
- Colleen Koch, MD, MS, MBA
Dean for UF College of Medicine
Folk H. Peterson Dean’s Distinguished Professor
- Mark Segal, MD, PhD
Senior Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs & Professional Development Professor
Department of Medicine
- Ellen Zimmermann, MD
Associate Dean for Faculty Development
Professor, Department of Medicine
- Leon Haley, Jr., MD, MHSA, FACEP
Former Dean for UF College of Medicine—Jacksonville
Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine
Galleries of the Celebration of Excellence in Medical Education
A fun night to award and to recognize the outstanding accomplishments of some of UF COM faculty.