Student Travel Policy
UF COM students seeking their M.D., are encouraged to pursue research and present their scholarly work at conferences. They are also encouraged to represent the school in leadership capacities. Students research mentors are expected to provide support for students who conduct research under their guidance to attend the meetings. In the event that mentors or student organizations do not have resources to cover their expenses, students may request assistance from the Office of Educational Affairs.
The following criteria must be met before requesting funding:
- The student must be applying at least two weeks prior to Conference/Meeting date.
- Conference/Meeting must take place in the United States.
- Research being presented must have been conducted while in medical school.
- The student must be the first-author on paper/poster/abstract.
- If the student is a national officer of an organization, there must be no other fund sources for travel.
- The student must be in good academic standing. Students on a leave of absence are not eligible for funding.
Expectation of Students
- Students are expected to contribute to their travel costs.
Funding Availability and Notification
- While costs do vary, in general, funding is available for one trip per student not to exceed $500/year. Students can expect a response from the COM within 2 weeks of their submitted request.
What is REIMBURSED
- Conference registration, airline/mileage, and/or hotel expense (maximum of 2 nights) will be supported. Please note that we will not reimburse for printing, food/alcohol, internet services at hotel, and/or other entertainment.
Information to be submitted:
- Title, authors and electronic copy of abstract and/or poster
- Name of meeting, location, and dates
- Faculty mentor endorsement
- Receipts after meeting